Tuesday, August 11, 2015

DT PROJECT FOR BEE HAPPY CRAFTS: Victoria


 








Hi! What I am going to share today is the first project I made for Bee Happy’s DT. For the first project, I decided to make a mixed media canvas. I was supposed to work on the cover of an art journal, but one thing led to another and I came up with this. Just to warn you though, this post would be a bit long. 

Alright. Now that you are forewarned about the impending lengthy read, let’s start from the beginning of how I put together this piece. I used an 8”x10” primed canvas for the base. I added some texture onto the surface of the canvas by applying molding paste on a couple of The Crafter’s Workshop mini stencils and coated everything with gesso. After drying, I sprayed several layers of glimmer mist. I began with Tattered Angels Butternut Scotch followed by Jack O’Lantern and Coral Reef. I used Black Magic at the corners as well as the sides.


Remember the items I received from Bee Happy? I used several of them to make the embellishments and the background of the image. I don't know if you can recognize all of them, but I included the buttons, a tag, a paper doily, some of the papers from the sampler pack and die cuts made from the mini doily dies.

I altered the color of most of the supplies except for the metal charms. Similar to what I did with the canvas, I gessoed the pieces then sprayed them with glimmer mist. I painted some with gold poster color (the die cuts, wooden embellishments and some of the buttons) and coated a thicker  with liquid pearl.

Before affixing the embellishments, I adhered a paper doily over the mini brocade that I stenciled on the left side of the canvas. I then layered pieces of patterned papers whose edges I distressed after which I coated with watered-down gesso. I also inked the edges. I adhered them using Modge Podge. It is the first time that I used this medium and I really like how strong it adheres the papers onto the canvas. Anyway, I wanted to coat the stamped image as well as the sentiment with crackle paint, but unfortunately I ran out of it. Sad. So what I did was spray the image with glimmer mist (Black Magic) and fussy cut it when it dried. I affixed the image onto the canvas with foam tape. I added metal wings to make 'Victoria' more interesting.


A few months ago, I splurged on some clear stamps. I just love Bee Happy Crafts for carrying clear stamp brands especially Kaisercraft and Prima Marketing! I posted about it here. I utilized some of the stamps from that craft haul on the canvas. The main image also came with them.


Now for the fun part--decorating! I kept changing my mind as to how I would be putting the embellishments as I worked on the canvas. But even so, I am quite happy with the outcome. It is a huge improvement. If you have seen the first four canvases that I made from the previous year, there is such a great difference that you would surely notice. If you're interested to see what I mean, you can check my IG (@paperaddict28). I was just so stupid to have accidentally deleted my tumblog. It is where I posted about all of them. Tsk.


I wanted to use shrink plastic as an embellishment. They were supposed to dangle down with the tag, but the whole idea failed. Ha. I'll tell you more about it on the next project that I make using them successfully.

I am really happy on how the canvas turned out. I think you would see more altered projects in the near future. So that was that. I have to end it here for now. I just hope our internet connection gets better tomorrow so I can upload more stuff. Thank you for looking today!

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Conda 8”x10” Canvas, Moods Board Paper Storm Gray, Studio Calico Sampler Pack, paper doily, American Crafts Thickers, tag, paper flowers, metal charms, self-adhesive crystals, pearls, beads, jump rings, polymer clay flowers, bottle caps, wooden flower, lace trimming, vintage paper clip, buttons, brad, Eno Greeting Wooden Embellishment, The Crafter’s Workshop Stencil Mini Art Is and Chicken Wire Reverse, Golden Molding Paste, Reeves Gesso, Modge Podge Classic Matte, Elmer's White Glue, Stanley Glue Gun, Kaisercraft Clear Stamps Victoria, Hexagon, Flutter, Film Strip Edge and Confidence, Prima Marketing Clear Stamps Vintage Vanity, My Favorite Things Doily Mini Circles, Cuttlebug Machine V2

No comments: