Tuesday, August 25, 2015

THE SHRINK PLASTIC EXPERIENCE



Hi there! For this post, I am going to talk about 'The Shrink Plastic Experience'. Like I have said in a previous post, I tried to use shrink plastic on a project as an embellishment, but I totally mucked it. At that time, I did not have a heat gun nor an oven. What I did after a failed attempt of using my hair dryer to heat the material was put it several inches over a flame which did not nothing but curled the whole thing. I gave up that day and decided to finally get a heat tool. I didn't think I would really be needing one until the shrink plastic came. Hah. I just use a small hair dryer to speed up the drying time of my mixed media projects. My bad. I should have gotten one ages ago. I was just too sparing. Thanks to Bee Happy Crafts I get to eventually get my hands on this material and have a go at it. 

I haven't done much with the shrink plastic except for the basic stamping of images and die cutting. Gah. I can now make my own embellishments from die cuts. You know how I love using cogs and gears and with shrink plastic I can actually make several of them at a cheaper price. I have actually run out of small gears and I can't get them locally. My cousin bought the ones I had before in the States. And they are quite costly. I may try coloring them before heating or just paint over them when I have adhered them onto the surface of a project. Which ever I choose to do, I believe they will be splendid. Ah. What a great use of shrink plastic. Well, if I have the time I would try to explore other ways on using them. I was amazed at some crafters who make 3D accessories and there was this one artist who doodles on shrink plastic and the outcome is really awesome and inspiring. It would take several packs of shrink plastic sheets before I could even achieve one fourth of what they do. May be some time next year I will devote a portion to learning those techniques. So that's one resolution for 2016. Heh. I sure hope I will work on that. 

Anyway, for my first batch of successful shrink plastic embellishments, I used the following:



MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Shrink Plastic, Stampendous Acrylic Block, Ranger Heat It Craft Tool, Cuttlebug Machine V2, Marvy Uchida Circle Punch 1 1/2" and 2", Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Rubber Stamps Lamp Post and Eiffel Tower, Kaisercraft Clear Stamps Butterfly and Botanical Odyssey, Sizzix Bigz Die Love Gears, Ticket Punch, Tweezers


P.S. I should have posted the latest project right after this, but I just got totally knocked out when I got home from work this morning that I didn't get to edit the photos. I'm terribly sorry. I'll post it tomorrow. Hopefully I'd be done before noon. ¡Hasta maƱana!






No comments: