Monday, September 14, 2015

DT PROJECT FOR BEE HAPPY CRAFTS: Upcycled Bottles

Hi there! Welcome to today's post. As mentioned in the title, the project that I worked on is a set of bottles. I altered them using a variety of materials, but I mostly used burlap from the DCWV Burlap Stack that came with the package. 
One of the perks of working for a food company is the numerous freebies. Last Friday, we were given nine Bear Brand Sterilized Milk 200mL and a box of NESCAFÉ Smoovlatte (24 bottles). 

While drinking the Smoovlatte, I thought of dressing up the empty bottle. It is quite pretty. I have already gathered a couple of other bottles which I found at home by that time and since I was going to alter several bottles, why not include one more. So there. 

The other bottles originally contained olive oil and iced tea. (For the life of me I can't remember the brand of the other olive oil. The label was red. Ach.)

 

Anyway, let me show you what I came up with. First up is the altered bottle of Tazo Iced Tea.



1. Love

I applied several coats of gesso to the exterior of the bottle. After drying, I stenciled on the surface using molding paste. (It was not a brilliant idea. It was rather difficult to stencil on it since the surface is curved. I just basically smudged what little I was able to put on it.) I coated the bottle with distress crackle paint (Rock Candy) then I used my Ranger Heat It Craft Tool to hasten the drying time. I then sponged distress ink (Brushed Corduroy) over the dried crackle paint to emphasize the cracks. 



Now that the base was done, I proceeded with the decoration. Before starting with the bottle, I made a burlap flower using the Tim Holtz Alterations Dies Tattered Florals. It was the focal point of the project. I added a couple of paper and silk flowers, beads and whatnot for more dimension. I didn't intend to use the same color scheme for the background, but as I was moving along with the project, I realized that I picked out turquoise and blue again. I was thinking more in the line of blue and orange when I started making it, but it turned out different at the middle. Sorry for that. I still have a blue and green hang over. So, just like my previous mixed media canvas, I stamped around the embellishments, added micro pearls and brushed metallic paints over the various elements.  As a finishing touch, I affixed a length of lace trimming at the top of the bottle.



The opening is rather small, but I could use it to store my knitting needles.

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Empty bottle of Tazo Iced Tea, DCWV Burlap Sheets 12"x12", lace trimming, Eno Greeting Wooden Embellishments, All About Scrapbooking wooden embellishments, Eno Greeting Sticker Sheet, metal charms, brad, beads, self-adhesive crystals, micro pearls, Rouge de garance Chipboard Embellishments Passiflore and Valse, Reeve's Gesso, Golden Molding Paste, The Crafter's Workshop Stencil Mini Art Is and Mini Swiss Dots, Ranger Distress Crackle Paint Rock Candy, Ranger Distress Ink Mini Brushed Corduroy, Modge Podge Classic Matte, Ranger Liquid Pearls Cantaloupe and Peacock, FolkArt Metallic Acrylic Colour Blue Topaz, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Prima Marketing Clear Stamps Vintage Vanity

2. Shabby Smoovlatte


The second one was an empty Smoovlatte bottle. As I have said earlier, the bottle is small and pretty. It could be used as a mini vase. You can put in some handmade flowers made through the We R Memory Keepers Flower Punch Board. You can make several of these in a short time.



I just cut some burlap that could go around the bottom part of the bottle and adhered it with hot glue. I added lace trimming to the edges and placed a lace flower which I made a few months back when I was trying to figure out what to use on a friend's wedding invitation. I wrapped a chain on the upper part of the bottle to make it more interesting. Also, I tied a thin lace and attached a dragonfly charm on the bough.



MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Empty bottle of NESCAFÉ Smoovlatte (190mL), DCWV Burlap Stack 12"x12", lace trimmings, chain, pearls, beads, jump rings, metal charm, Stanley Glue Gun

There are two more bottles that I am currently working on. I will be adding the photos tomorrow and I will be uploading my other DT project-a shabby chic wedding card. I hope  you drop by again tomorrow. Thanks for looking today! Have a great week!

No comments: