Saturday, March 14, 2015

BOXED MINI ALBUM




Hi there! I have posted about the wedding gift I made for a friend last December on my tumblog, but I have made some changes to it. Since I haven’t given it yet to her (Gaaad, it’s almost March!), I decided to change the photo folio into a mini album.

If you might recall, I received a commission for a guestbook last month and I made something like a mini album to hold some photos of the event as well as doodles and what not from the guests. I loved working on that particular project which got me to think of making a smaller version with more pages for Miss Karen. I was done with the original photo folio, but I didn't quite like how it turned out so I made a mini album. Hah! It doesn't look that good (hey, I only started making them), but it is way better than the folio!
Okay. So I had made the box first.





I altered a box from my stash of Papemelroti boxes. I coated it with several layers of gesso until I was satisfied with the coverage. I then stenciled the sides of the bottom with molding paste and used a different stencil on the lid. After which, I applied distressed crackle paint on the sides of the lid. When everything was dry, I inked the edges of both the bottom and the lid. I also used an ink pad to color the stenciled brocade on the lid. Before putting the decorations, I stenciled some dots on the surface of the lid with different colored ink pads.





I adhered wooden flourishes to the corners and put down the embellishments one by one. Of course it wouldn't be complete without the pearls and the crystals. I just love it! Maybe I’ll also alter the round boxes that I've been keeping for almost two years now. Hmn. Perhaps I’ll do it this weekend.

As for the mini album, the page assembly was the same as the one I used on the guestbook. If you haven’t seen it yet, I got the idea from Brenda Bliss on one of her video tutorials. You can find it here



This is the back part of the mini album. I didn't put anything else so as not to get in the way when writing on the pages.
The cover, though, was a bit different. Instead of using patterned paper to cover the chipboard base, I coated it with gesso, added a length of lace trimming and coated the whole thing again with gesso. I stenciled on the spine (the same one I used on the box bottom). Like the guestbook, I also wanted to add a detachable set of charms on the spine which I did by affixing a piece of lace trimming with a jump ring on the top part of the spine.











I made a video of the different parts of the mini album so you can also see what the inside looks like.



Thank you for looking today! Have a great weekend!

*NOTE: I've written this post a month ago, but then I missed to publish it that's why the side comment on the first part of the post says 'It's almost March.' I hope you don't get confused. Thanks again for stopping by!

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: (For the box: Papemelroti box, Marie's Gesso, Golden Molding Paste, Ranger Distressed Crackle Paint Rock Candy, ColorBox Cat's Eye Queue Pigment Ink Stucco, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, The Crafter's Workshop Stencils Mini Brocade, Art Is and Mini Swiss Dots, Eno Greeting Wooden Embellishments, wooden flower, paper flowers, metal charms, self-adhesive crystals and pearls, Kaisercraft Pickled Pear Collection Sticker Sheet, Graphic 45 8x8 Secret Garden Collection, paper scrap, Kaisercraft Clear Stamps Botanical Odyssey, Elmer's White Glue, glitters, Stanley Glue Gun, glue sticks, Spellbinders Shapeabilities Fancy Framed Tags One, Cuttlebug Machine V2); (For the mini album: Multi-purpose board, Elit Board Paper Pale Cream, My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Two 6x6 paper pad Blush, Kaisercraft 12x12 Forget-Me-Not Collection, Bo Bunny Etc Collection, The Edwardian Lady's Diary, stationery sets, ColorBox Cat's Eye Queue Pigment Ink Stucco, lace trimmings, paper tapes, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Kaisecraft Clear Stamps Botanical Odyssey, double sided tape, Glue Stick, hot glue)

No comments: