Monday, March 2, 2015

FILIGREE HINGED CARD






Happy Monday everyone! Today I am going to share a special card I made the other day. I don't know yet if this would be the card I will give my mom for her birthday on the 18th, but whoever gets it, I'm sure it would be loved.

I was supposed to work on a card for one of my friends, but I got more excited over an idea that just suddenly crossed my mind--a die cut card or what the great card makers call a filigree hinged card. I have made a similar one last year for my friend Gwen. Here is what it looked like:


I used my newly bought board paper for the base and for the die cuts. The color is called Stormy Gray. I quite like it. The thickness, though thinner than what I usually use, is good for the base. Another thing I love about it is it is cheaper than my white and ivory board papers. A pack containing 15 sheets costs half the amount I pay for a pack of white or ivory board paper which only has 10 sheets. For that, I am going to buy three more packs on my next craft haul (whenever that will be). 


I would not discuss the steps I did to make the base in detail here, but you can find a great tutorial from Becca Feeken. She had posted an easy-to-follow video on her YouTube channel. The link is here.



Once you have the base, you can proceed to decorating the front of the card according to your choice. What I did on mine was I cut a circle from a patterned paper and distressed the edges. I added a length of lace and then I put on some foam tape at the back (I don't know if I mentioned this in my previous posts, but I now put hot glue onto the tape before adhering them to the cardstock because over time, the stick on the foam tape disappears so what happens is the piece you adhered it to will fall off.) and affixed it at the middle of the card. After which, I added the embellishments.


I used one of my pre-made charms to attach the die cut with the sentiment on it.

It was an easy project, but it took me some time to make the base. I had to run the cardstock with the die several times to cut through the intricate details of the die. That was the downside of a die cut card, but the end result is totally worth it. You just brought your card to the next level and it is so pretty and yummy! I hope you liked it and make one yourself!

Thank you for looking today! Have a great week!

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Moods Board Paper Smoky Gray, My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Two 6x6 paper pad Sunshine. paper flowers, twine, stamens, crystals, Eno Greeting Wooden Embellishment, i-Sign 0.7 Black, Spellbinders Nestabilities Splendid Circles, Captivating Squares and A2 Card Creator Tranquil Moments, Cuttlebug Machine V2

No comments: