Monday, August 15, 2016

ART JOURNAL PAGE #2: Black

"Love your dream and wear your passion."




I started to wear all black this year and I don't think people understand. They would always feel the need to ask me why I choose to dress the way I do. They assume that I am gothic, dressing for a funeral, depressed or downright emo. (I like goth, but I'm not one. I don't want to offend a culture.)

I was incensed upon hearing what a friend's friend told him about me. I always go out on breakfasts and trips with my colleagues who have become my closest friends so we have so many photos together that are posted on our SNS especially on Facebook. One of his friends had asked him who was the person on the pictures that always wear black. "What an emo!"

Okay. I was upset when I heard that. I told him to ask his friend what an emo means and wearing all black does not totally equate to being one. People tend to overgeneralize and of course they make you into a stereotype. I wanted to yell at that person to stop and dig deeper, to go beyond what she's seeing. She had programmed her mind into thinking that those who wear all black are emos. She does not know a thing! Each one has his or her reason to wear what he or she wants. Whatever reason that may be, it is a representation of the type of person he or she is. 

This is who I am right now! This is how I want to express myself. I don't dress for anyone but myself! 

So there. I told you I was quite incensed when someone attributed my wearing black to being an emo. I just hate it when people try to get me to wear pink. I don't necessarily have a dislike for colors which is evidenced by my works. On the contrary, my wearing all black is a manifestation of my creative self. Just please stop insisting that I wear a different color! I will do so when I want to and if there really is a need to. Sorry for the outburst. This just gets into me at times. 

MATERIALS AND TOOLS USED: Eno Greeting 12"x12 paper pad Retro Series, Rosie's Studio Sticker Book of Phrases, Ranger Distress Ink Mini Black Soot, Golden Molding Paste, Prima Marketing Stencil Harlequin, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Cinder, Bo Bunny Clear Stamps Dreamer, Prima Marketing Clear Stamps Vintage Vanity #1 and #2, Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black 

No comments: