Tuesday, April 28, 2015

CRAFT HAUL PART 2


Hi again! Here is the second part of my craft haul. I think I mentioned in my previous post that I went to divi to get some materials for the wedding invitations that I am currently working on. So, here is another account of my divi adventures. No kidding, but I might just get to memorize the nooks and crannies of the shopping district where wedding supplies could be found. I am getting more and more requests to help out friends with their wedding preparations. This is the third invitation set that I was asked to make. There are three more on queue for this year and one already booked me for March next year.

Honestly, I didn't quite have a liking for weddings. What I loved was making things for birthdays and Christmases, but I feel like I am being directed to weddings. This might just be my calling. Imagine how many of my friends and acquaintances who have been asking me to make their invitations and help them out on their decorations. Just wow! And I continue to receive inquiries if I make invites and souvenirs. I might just make this a business in the future.

The demand for DIY weddings is growing over the past two to three years and so a lot are turning to Pinterest for inspiration and some brides-to-be are looking around to find people like me who have the knack at making these types of projects.

I am touched by my friends who turn to me for assistance for their special day. For me, helping them out with literally my own two hands is very fulfilling. It makes me happy to see that the couples are happy with what I did or are doing for them. I appreciate how they trust me for my tastes and my skills. If I may say so, I am not rich. I am the literal starving artist, but I don’t charge for the labor that goes into making the invites and decors. I only ask for the materials cost, but sometimes I actually shell out some more money to get the necessary supplies which doesn't bother me that much (My sister would scold me if she reads this). No matter I am just glad that I am part of a memorable event in my friends’ lives.

Oh my. I veered to another topic again instead of sticking to my divi trip. I guess I will have to stop myself from saying too much about these invites at this time and pour everything out when I write about the most recent wedding project in another post. I will definitely put a link in here.

Anyway, as the title indicates, this is part two of my most recent craft haul. I got my first ever pay from my new job and well, I obviously spent a portion of it on a couple supplies.


This here is what I bought from four different stores in divi.


 When I arrived in divi after a veeery slow ride from Quiapo, I got a bit dazed because almost all the streets were covered by stalls.  Before, there would just be two rows of stalls outside the stores, but this time I was amazed that I had a hard time orienting myself where to go because I could no longer see the first row of stalls especially the stores behind them. Gad. I didn't know how to get to the entrance of one of the malls. Haha. With my size I had a difficulty moving here and there. Imagine someone twice my size. Good luck to him or her.

The first store that I entered was Michelle's Lace and Ribbon. I went here in particular to buy some paper flowers and stamens as well as those pretty rose buds which only cost P20 per bundle. I bought one bundle of assorted colors at the mall once and it was triple the price. Tsk. 

The last time I went there was last February when I accompanied a fellow crafter. There were more paper flowers then, but fortunately there were still some left for me to buy.

The stamens are very important. You know how I love making mixed media cards and altered boxes with floral themes. I have been wanting to use stamens, but I just didn't have them. I even thought of making them myself, but I didn't have the right materials and besides the alternative was much more expensive (using liquid pearls and other dear paint products). I wish they had more sizes and colors. All in all, I am still glad of what I was able to find.


Another thing that I have been dreaming about these past few months is getting my hands on yards and yards of pretty lace trimmings. I found this lace store in 999 on my last divi trip and I vowed to return and buy some of them. Woohoo! I finally did. I just focused on the thinner ones this time, but I would definitely get some of the wider and more elaborate ones in the near future. I wish I have more rest days to start a mixed media project. TT.TT. I have to wait for a few more weeks until I finish the invitations.


These lovely charms are from Wellmanson's in Quiapo. I got somewhat lost again trying to go back to North Ave. I was not supposed to go there anymore since I already spent a lot on the flowers and lace, but my feet brought me to their store. What do you know. I was just looking around in the first 15 minutes or so. I didn't even get a basket at the entrance when I went in thinking that I won't be buying anything. Well, while looking for the way where I can go back to the entrance desk, I came upon this area where so many charms were looking at me with radiant smiles. Gah. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing one, then two, then more that twenty. I can't remember exactly how many packs I took from their hooks on the wall. Whoa! I ended up buying P541 worth of them. Okay. I'll just try not to feel guilty in the next days. By the way, this was the last stop before heading home.

The store that I visited before this was in 999. After paying for the lace, I went to this other store who sells various sewing notions and some random stuff. I knew it from my last trip there.

I bought the silk ribbon for the invitations there as well as the pearls for the flowers. I bought some pearls for myself. I didn't know how the flowers would like with the materials that I was able to find so I will most probably keep the ones that will not be used. 

You will see these supplies used in my next projects especially the cards for Mothers' Day. I am looking forward to this weekend to start them. I hope you check out the finished projects when I get to post them here.

So that's that. Thank you for bearing with my long chatter as always. Have a great week!

No comments: